Coolest Windows 7 Tips and Tricks: Change Logon Screen
Hi and welcome back to another article in the series of Coolest Windows 7 Tips and Tricks. Today, we’ll be covering the easiest and simplest way to change the background of you windows login screen.
Since Windows XP, windows login screen has been a beautiful entry point to your desktop. The background picture of Windows Login Screen is not only soothing to one’s eyes but also a status symbol among the geeks and alike. Using cool Background Pictures in Windows Login Screen was never easy, until we got Windows 7.
Windows 7 comes with pre-built functionality to change the login screen. You do not need any third-party tool filled with extremely difficult User Interface, hidden Trojans and Viruses, and cumbersome controls to change the login screen. All you need is to change an entry and Registry, create a couple of folders and most importantly, find that perfect picture that was always your dream background. Below is the method to change the Login Screen on Windows 7:
- Press Win+R key and Type “REGEDIT” at run prompt (without quotes). Alternately, Press Start, click on Run and type.
- Locate following registry key:
- Now in right-side pane, change value of OEMBackground to 1 (originally it should be 0).
- Now go to %windir%\system32\oobe
- Create a new folder info and another folder
backgroundbackgrounds within newly created info folder
- Folder path should look like this %windir%\System32\oobe\info\backgrounds
- Now place your desired logon wallpaper within this background folder with file name as backgroundDefault.jpg. Here is an interesting thing, you can place multiple versions of pictures for different resolutions. Windows with place that picture according to the resolution of screen. You just have to mention the resolution in names
Images Name with resolutions
Please NOTE: Images must be less than 256kb in size
The backgroundDefault.jpg image is loaded and stretched-to-fit when a resolution/ratio specific background cannot be found.
- You are all done. Restart your system to see the effect.
Did you know that there are multiple hidden Windows 7 themes in your computer? Check out Windows 7 hidden perks.